ERROR: Only one usage of each socket address is normally permitted

Mar 9, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I've had good luck so far with an implementation. It's a local app that hosts several flash pages. Each page connects to the same local app which is running a socket server.  Each page is one socket connection. There can be many pages.  After the first page, I get "Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted"  Seems like dynamic ports would work, but how do I configure the server to do dynamic ports. The client has little smarts, but I can pass the port number to it. 

Thanks,

jeff

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Why do you want to listen many IP/ports? A server listening one ip/port can serve many clients.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:36 AM

My server needs to service many clients, all of this on the same machine.  It's a desktop app and we are using sockets as an interprocess communication (inside a flash object).  When I try it, I get this message "Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted"".

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Thanks.

Coordinator
Mar 9, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Which port are you want to use? Do you know whether the port has been taken by other application?

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Silly me. I just found that I was running multiple instances of the server (it's supposed to start and stop as needed).  My apology.

Your doing some great stuff here. It's come together very nicely.