Breaking Changes

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Hi Kerry, on your releases or uploads, please note all the breaking changes that you have made to your library for our awareness. I downloaded the latest version yesterday and it has completely broken the custom protocol for all of my apps and also the service startup code since you no longer have Defaultbootstrap. Somehow you need to note these changes and how to work around them so that we dont end up spending a ton of time trying to keep up ... I know the breaking changes are necessary to keep this wonderful library uptodate but at least there should be some way of notifying the users on what changes, what breaks existing code that leverages your library and also how to modify our code to accommodate the changes. Thanks so much for your consideration

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:23 AM
I am really sorry for breaking your applications. I thought the code in QuickStart might be helpful for your migration. Next time, I'll leave more information, if the change will break the build.

I am sorry for your time wasting. In the future, If you have some difficulties about SuperSocket, please feel free to confirm with me as soon as possible.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 9/1/2012 9:29 AM
To: kerry-jiang@hotmail.com
Subject: Breaking Changes [SuperSocket:394008]

Hi Kerry, on your releases or uploads, please note all the breaking changes that you have made to your library for our awareness. I downloaded the latest version yesterday and it has completely broken the custom protocol for all of my apps and also the service startup code since you no longer have Defaultbootstrap. Somehow you need to note these changes and how to work around them so that we dont end up spending a ton of time trying to keep up ... I know the breaking changes are necessary to keep this wonderful library uptodate but at least there should be some way of notifying the users on what changes, what breaks existing code that leverages your library and also how to modify our code to accommodate the changes. Thanks so much for your consideration

Sep 1, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Are you using SuperSocket 1.5?  If yes, the 1.5 documentation should be helpful, https://github.com/kerryjiang/SuperSocket/wiki, but it's under working.

Anyway, you must take a look at the code in QuickStart.

If you are using SuperSocket 1.4, but please still use 1.4 except you are preparing to upgrade to 1.5 because 1.5 breaks many APIs of 1.4.

You can see there is an documentation in the doc list with the title "Upgrade from SuperSocket 1.4", but it's not finished.

I'll try my best to finish all the content of the documents before next 1.5 beta release, I aslo will have an copy of these documents in Codeplex project website.

Thanks!

Sep 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Hi Kerry, I was using 1.5 and the latest source code. The changes are services section is now removed. the ServerType is added to each server in the servers section, for bootstrap we dont need to get the socketServer section of app.config anymore to pass to the initialize as you do it for us... in custom protocol, we simply can remove the first parameter "session" from the filter function. I cant remember what else i had to change to make it fit the latest source as of yesterday but the code i was using was two weeks old and was 1.5... anyways, thanks and keep up the great work (albeit more comments within the code as you make changes would be nice :)